January 16, 2014

Art Crush: Emily Proud

My newest art crush is on California-based artist Emily Proud

Emily is a watercolorist and her work is just gorgeous. I am obsessed with her use of color: a lovely mix of subtle hues with pops of intense color, handled so delicately.

 California Poppies on White by Emily Proud

Mission Nasturium by Emily Proud 

She says:

 I suppose I'm inspired by the outdoors, which is both very beautiful and a wild and unpredictable thing, like watercolor is to me. I also think people are at their best outdoors.

 California Wild Roses by Emily Proud 

Fancy Free by Emily Proud

Emily's silhouette-based pieces seem almost ethereal; the way she uses color creates a sense of atmospheric depth on a flat plane - almost as if the vegetation were entwined with a delicate fog. It feels peaceful and quiet, and I could stare at them for hours. 

Maiden Hair by Emily Proud

In her words:

I was thinking about ways to best showcase the properties of watercolor that are truly unique to the medium, such as transparency and color bleeding. I am completely in love and obsessed with the idiosyncrasies of watercolor. The possibilities are endless and I'm always discovering new things that the paint does on it's own. It really has a life of its own and I feel like mastering watercolor means becoming a sort of sheep herder, learning how to herd the medium into the corral you want. 
Wild Bouquet by Emily Proud
Emily has also started a series on her blog called "Watercolor 101." In it, she shares her love for the medium, as well as "techniques, tips, tricks, advice on materials" and more - great information for both beginners and more seasoned artists.

Emily shows her work regularly in California. She has been featured on Refinery29 and sells prints of her work online.

All images via EmilyProud.com 


You can find more of my Art Crush series here

No comments:

Post a Comment