June 17, 2013

Hilton Head Island

We just got back from a wonderfully refreshing vacation in Hilton Head Island, South Carolina. It's a gorgeous place covered in Live Oaks and Palmettos... not to mention wildlife like deer, Great Blue Herons, Egrets, alligators, lizards, rabbits, and dolphins.

I also had lots of time to paint, and will share my sketchbook paintings in another post. 

 


 The last 3 photos were taken on the golf course behind our house - we unofficially dubbed it "Egret Island" - a tiny plot of land surrounded by water that houses dozens of birds - they looked to be mostly Snowy Egrets or Ibis and Anhingas (also known as the Snake Bird - they swim underwater!)

In the water were several alligators. I found this to be utterly exciting until the guy in the last photo made eye contact with me, started swimming toward me, and then submerged underwater. A submerged alligator and only lead to an emerging alligator, and if anyone has ever seen a nature show, you can can imagine why I decided to take my leave! 

Has anyone ever had an encounter with an animal predator? 

No comments:

Post a Comment